Frontrunners Of COVID-19 Vaccine
A recent statement made by Anthony Fauci, the director of National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases stated that it might take almost a year and a half to get a coronavirus vaccine approved for the citizens of US. Though some experts even suggest this statement to be optimistic as several odds might come into the way. The development of the vaccine depends on how the companies perform initially, which can later advance to further stages of clinical development, safety issues and mass production of the vaccine.
Here’s an insight of a few COVID-19 vaccine developers, their methods and their status of vaccine development.
- Moderna And The US Government: The Moderna laboratories, along with the US government is on their way of developing a vaccine with the help of lipid nanoparticles containing mRNA for the COVID-19 This organization is even developing similar vaccines against some other viruses like Zika. Reports state that phase 1 of clinical trials is underway in Seattle, USA. The group also expects to start phase 2 and phase 3 trials after successful completion of the undergoing tests.
- CanSino Biologics and the Academy of Military Medical Sciences: This Chinese organization has previously produced a vaccine for Ebola, which was approved in 2017 using the AD5 platform. The company officials even stated that the Ad5-nCoV vaccine has a significant immune response potential in animals, along with having an exceptional safety profile. This organization is under the 1st phase of the clinical trials in Wuhan, China.
- Pfizer and BioNTech: Though their exact vaccine method isn’t known to us, but some sources say that they have been in talks to some RNA vaccine candidate for influenza. They are expecting to start their clinical trials in later dates of these months and have plans to supply a sufficient number of COVID-19 vaccines by the year-end.
- Novavax: This American organization is trying to create nanoparticles that can carry antigens derived from the COVID-19 spike protein. This organization had the upper hand in vaccine production for the novel coronavirus as it had already started SARS vaccine development in 2012. They are expecting to begin their clinical trials by the mid of May 2020.
- Taxis Biotech and Applied DNA Sciences: This company has already started exploring the five DNA structure-based candidates wholly dependent on the COVID-19 spike protein structure. They are trying to produce a vaccine with the help of PCR produced pieces of DNA, compared to the generic circular plasmids. This method claims to have way more advantage, including quick production. As of now, no vaccines on humans have been tested using this approach. They are expecting to start their first phase of the clinical trial by the mid of this year.
While all these organizations are racing against time to create a vaccine and every country is facing the pandemic with courage, doctors, nurses and the medical team remains to be in the first line of defence. Current reports state that there is a massive shortage of trained nurses and medical staff in the US.
In order to fulfill the deficit, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and some other American government organizations came up with some brilliant ideas and plans. Their plan includes several instructions for the nursing schools and Institutes of Higher Education of America to fight against this dreaded disease. Erudite online nursing schools, being an elite institution, has come up with many online accelerated nursing programs to help the existing nurses in their fight against the COVID-19 disease.
Note: The foregoing article and information contained therein may be copyrighted and may not be reproduced in part or entirety without advance written permission. For permissions or editorial corrections, contact: Ms. Kelsey Hanna, khanna@EruditeNursing.education. All information is provided for informational purposes and deemed to be correct at the time of publication, but may change with or without notice; no guarantees are made as to accuracy and all liability is hereby released as to the same.